The course covers the fundamentals of testing: definitions of testing standards, planning, managing the lifecycle, reviews and the tools available. Techniques for creating tests are described and practised. It culminates in a one-hour multiple choice examination for the BCS Foundation Certificate in Software Testing. Successful delegates will also gain the ISTQB Certified Tester – Foundation Level, a globally recognised qualification.
Fundamentals of Testing
- Testing terminology; General testing principles; Why testing is necessary; Fundamental test process; The psychology of testing.
Testing Throughout the Lifecycle
- Models for testing; Component, System Integration and Acceptance testing; Maintenance testing; Non-functional system testing; Functional system testing.
- Reviews and the test process; Costs and benefits of reviews; Types of review: Walkthrough, technical review, inspections, informal review; Static analysis
Test Design Techniques
- Black and White box testing; Black box test techniques including equivalence partitioning, boundary value analysis and state transition testing; White box test techniques including statement and decision testing; Experience-based techniques; Choosing test techniques
- Organisation; Project test plan; Configuration management; Test estimation: Inclusion in project schedule; Monitoring and control; Tracking progress and deviations from plan; Incident management: Logging, tracking and analysis; Risk and testing.
- Types of test tool; Requirements testing; Static analysis; Test design; Data preparation; Capture/replay; Test running; Test harnesses, drivers and simulators; Performance testing; Dynamic analysis; Debugging; Comparison; Test management; Coverage measurement; Effective use, benefits and risk; Introducing a tool into an organization.
- Course is suitable for everyone currently involved in testing or about to move into a testing role. Also those who wishing to attain the BCS Foundation Certificate in Software Testing and/or the ISTQB Certified Tester – Foundation Level.
- Delegates should already have a basic working knowledge of IT and an understanding of the testing role in software development.