The DevOps Awareness (H9P61) course introduces the fundamentals of DevOps. It explains the key concepts that underpin DevOps and helps attendees to understand the benefits that a DevOps approach could have for their own organisations and potential problems that should be addressed. The course includes a discussion of people, process, and technology aspects of DevOps, and provides practical suggestions of steps that attendees can take to start introducing DevOps.
On successful completion of this course, candidates can expect to gain knowledge of:
- Issues around the organisational separation of IT development and IT operations, and how these can have a negative impact on both IT and the business.
- The benefits of a DevOps approach to both IT and the business.
- How DevOps builds on existing concepts and approaches such as ITIL, Agile, and Kanban.
- The role of continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment in DevOps.
- Organisational issues relating to DevOps and understanding of options for DevOps organisational design.
- The role that tools play in DevOps.
- Possible approaches to get started on a DevOps journey.
What problem are we trying to solve?
- Understand why we need to consider moving from traditional IT organisational silos to a DevOps culture.
Overview of traditional change and release management
- Understand the role of change and release management in protecting IT and the business from the negative impact of change, and recognize some potential weaknesses with the way these are traditionally implemented
Overview of DevOps and related concepts
- Learn about a wide range of concepts that can contribute to DevOps, including Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), Agile, Lean, Kanban, continuous integration, continuous delivery, continuous deployment, and infrastructure as code.
DevOps as people, processes, products, and partners
- Understand that DevOps combines aspects of people and organisation, process design and integration, and tools and technology.
- Gain insights into how these must work together to enable value creation.
What benefits can DevOps deliver?
- Start to think about how this could justify the adoption of DevOps within your own organisation.
Potential issues with DevOps
- Learn about some of the potential issues that can make adoption of DevOps problematic, and gain some insight into how these could be addressed.
Why just Dev and Ops?
- Gain insight into the wide range of stakeholders that must be part of a DevOps solution, beyond just IT development and IT operations.
Bi-modal, tri-modal, multi-modal IT
- Consider how DevOps could be introduced into an organisation without causing disruption to existing legacy systems.
Does DevOps replace ITIL?
- Understand what changes might be needed to your IT service management practices when you introduce DevOps.
How to get started on a DevOps journey
- Consider the first steps you need to take if you want to introduce DevOps to an existing IT organisation
- Senior IT management, IT development staff, IT operations staff, IT process owners, business managers, business process owners.
- Individuals who require an understanding of DevOps and how it can contribute to the success of IT within an organisation.
- IT professionals who are working in an organisation that has adopted DevOps and need to be informed about DevOps so that they can operate effectively within the organisation.
There are no specific prerequisites for this DevOps Awareness training, but knowledge and experience of how an IT organisation works would be helpful.