In the Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x for UNIX Advanced Administration (HA015) course, you learn to integrate, operate, and make the most of Veritas Storage Foundations advanced features, including Dynamic Multi-Pathing, File Replication, Smart Tiering, Performance Tuning and Snapshots, in a UNIX environment.
You learn how to manage the VxVM Private Region and understand different disk layouts, disk group management, and how to build volumes from scratch. You also learn about disk group split, moves and joins, volume RE layout, volume sets, multivolume file systems, online file system administration, remote mirroring across sites, offline and off-host processing using volume snapshots and storage checkpoints, and dynamic storage tiering.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Manage the advanced features of the Veritas Storage Foundation.
- Configure and manage disks, disk groups, and volumes.
- Administer file systems advanced features.
- Apply Performance Tuning principles to Veritas Volume Manager, Veritas File System and Dynamic Multi-Pathing.
- Monitor VxVM and change volume layouts to improve performance.
- Manage the dynamic multipathing feature.
- Create and manage point-in-time copies for off-host and on-host processing.
- Manage LUN snapshots.
- Remotely mirror your data across different sites.
- Use dynamic storage tiering for optimal storage allocation.
- Place the boot disk under VxVM control.
Volume Manager Overview
- Supported upgrade paths
- Upgrade considerations
- Operating system storage devices and virtual data storage
- Volume Manager storage objects
- Volume layouts
Volume Manager of Advanced Features
- Managing components in the VxVM architecture
- Disk group information
- Using VM make to create Volume Manager objects
- Viewing object attributes
- Disk group split/move/join
- Changing the volume layout
- Online RE layout process
- Managing volume tasks
- Using Configuration Backup and Restore
File System Advanced Features
- VxFS layout versions
- Compressing files and directories with VxFS
- Using FileSnap feature
- Duplicating VxFS data
Dynamic Multi-Pathing Administration
- DMP/DDL overview
- Event Source Daemon
- ASL/APM Administration
- DDL/DMP CLI Administration
- DDL/DMP Enhancements
- Subpath Failover Group
- Array/Enclosure Management
- New DMP enhancements
Volume Sets and MVFS Management
- Creating and managing volume sets
- Creating and managing multi-volume file systems
- Volume device visibility
- Administering raw device access
Implementing SmartTier (ST)
- What is Smart Tier?
- Smart Tier concepts
- Creating storage tiers
- Implementing file placement policies
Co-existence with Array-based Snapshots
- Understanding and selecting snapshot technologies
- How Volume Manager detects hardware snapshots
- Managing clone disks
- Using disk tags
Using Full-Copy Volume Snapshots
- Creating and managing full-copy volume snapshots
- Using volume snapshots for off-host processing
Using Copy-on-Write SF Snapshots
- Creating and managing space-optimized volume snapshots
- Creating and managing storage checkpoints
- Examples of using SF snapshot technologies for different application needs
- VxVM Tunables and Volume best practices
- VxFS Tunables, inode cache, and cache advisories
- DMP Tunables
Using Site Awareness with Mirroring
- What are remote mirroring and site awareness?
- Configuring site awareness
- Recovering from failures with remote mirrors
- Verifying a site-aware environment
Replicating a Veritas File System
- Understanding Veritas File Replicator
- Setting up replication for a Veritas file system
- Error recovery with Veritas File Replicator
Managing the Boot Disk with Storage Foundation
- Placing a non-boot disk under VxVM control
- Placing a boot disk under VxVM control
- Creating an alternate boot disk
- Administering the boot disk
- Removing the book disk from VxVM control
New Features and Enhancements in Storage Foundation
- SF 6.1 and Smart I/O
- Support for caching on SSDs
This course is for UNIX system or network administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, and system integration/development staff who will be administering Veritas Storage Foundation advanced features.
- Symantec Storage Foundation 6.x for UNIX
- Knowledge of UNIX system administration