The SAN Volume Controller V7 Planning and Implementation (SNV1G) course provides skills in leveraging SAN storage connectivity by integrating a layer of intelligence in virtualization. The SAN Volume Controller (SVC) facilitates storage application data access independence from storage management functions and requirements. This focus is on planning and implementation tasks associated with integrating the SVC into the storage area network.
This course offering is at the IBM Spectrum Virtualize V18.104.22.168 level.
It also explains how to:
- Centralize storage provisioning to host servers from common storage pools.
- Improve storage optimization and efficiency through Thin Provisioning, Data Reduction and Compression.
- Implement storage tiering and optimize flash drives and storage usage with Easy Tier.
- Facilitate the coexistence and migration of data from non-virtualized to the virtualized environment.
- Utilize network-level storage subsystem-independent data replication services to satisfy backup and disaster recovery requirement.
- IBM SAN Volume Controller – Introduction
- IBM SAN Volume Controller – Hardware architecture
- IBM SAS-Attached storage
- IBM SVC RAID protection solutions
- IBM SVC System – scaling
- IBM SVC System – Installation and management access
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Storage provisioning
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Volume allocation
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Host integration
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Data reduction technologies
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Easy Tier
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Data migration
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – FlashCopy and Consistency group
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Remote data replication
- IBM Spectrum Virtualize – Administration management
- IBM Storage Insights
Day 1: Welcome
- Unit 1: Introduction to IBM SAN Volume Controller
- Unit 2: SVC hardware architecture
- Unit 3: SVC planning and zoning requirements
- Unit 4: SVC cluster initialization and user authentication
o Exercise 0: Lab environment overview
o Exercise 1: SVC system initialization
o Exercise 2: SVC system configuration
o Exercise 3: Examine the back-end storage system
Day 2: Review
- Unit 5: SVC storage provisioning
- Unit 6: SVC host access
o Exercise 4: Storage provisioning
o Exercise 5: Access SVC storage from Windows and AIX
- Unit 7: Spectrum Virtualize advanced features
o Exercise 6: Thin Provisioning and Volume Mirroring
o Exercise 7: Storage access and SDD path selection
Day 3: Review
- Unit 8: Spectrum Virtualize data migration
o Exercise 8: SVC data migration
o Exercise 9: Migrate existing data: Migration Wizard
o Exercise 10: Migrate existing data with Import Wizard GUI
o Exercise 11: Migrate existing data with Import Wizard CLI
- Unit 9: Spectrum Virtualize Copy Services
Day 4: Review
o Exercise 12: SVC scripting and I/O group modification
o Exercise 13: Real-time Compression and the IBM Comprestimator
- Unit 10: SVC administration management
o Exercise 14: SVC FlashCopy and consistency groups
o Exercise 15: Assign user roles and access
- Class Review and Evaluation
This intermediate lecture and the exercise-based course are for individuals who are assessing and/or planning to deploy networked storage virtualization solutions.
The following courses are required prior to this class:
- Introduction to Storage (SS01G)Â
- Storage Area Networking FundamentalsÂ (SN71G)Â orÂ (SN71DG)Â or equivalent experience
- A basic understanding of the concepts of open systems, disk storage systems and I/O operations.